Zyrtec With Children's Robitussin DM
There is no drug interaction between Zyrtec (cetirizine) and Children's Robitussin DM.
Is it ok for my 9 year old to take Zyrtec and Children’s Robitussin DM together?
All three active ingredients in these products are in different medication classes and do not interfere with one another:
- Zyrtec contains cetirizine, a second-generation antihistamine, which is used for the treatment of perennial and seasonal allergies. It is also useful in the treatment of hives.
- Dextromethorphan, one of the ingredients in Children's Robitussin DM, is a cough suppressant that can reduce the cough reflex and help to ease a sore throat.
- Guaifenesin, the other ingredient in Children's Robitussin DM, is an expectorant, helping to thin and loosen mucous secretions.
It's always a smart idea to look into potential drug interactions with taking multiple products, especially when any of them are 'combination' products, like Children's Robitussin DM. One of the most common causes of overdosing is from consuming the same drug in multiple products.
Fortunately, Zyrtec and Children's Robitussin DM do not contain any of the same drug ingredients and are perfectly safe to take together.
While we're on the subject of Children's Robitussin DM, there is also no interaction between regular (i.e., non-children's) Robitussin DM and Zyrtec.
Robitussin DM for adults contains the same ingredients as Children's Robitussin DM, in equal concentrations. The measuring device and the recommended dosage are the differences.
Children's Robitussin DM (Per 5mL Dose)
- Dextromethorphan HBr 5 mg
- Guaifenesin 100 mg
Adult Robitussin DM (Per 20 mL Dose)
- Dextromethorphan HBr 20 mg
- Guaifenesin 400 mg