Taking Claritin With Vistaril (Hyrdoxyzine)
In our latest question and answer, the pharmacist discusses whether or not there is a drug interaction between Claritin (loratadine) and Vistaril (hydroxyzine).
Can I take Vistatil 25mg with a Claritin?
Claritin and Vistaril can be taken together, but the side effects may be enhanced due to them both causing similar side effects. It is important to note no more than the recommended doses per day should be taken.
Side effects that may be enhanced by taking both would be:
- Dry mouth
First-generation antihistamines typically cause more side effects than second-generation antihistamines. Vistaril is classified as first-generation and Claritin is second-generation. They work somewhat differently, and therefore do not have the same incidence of causing side effects. Although Claritin has a smaller chance of causing side effects and sedation, it is still important to monitor for excessive sleepiness or slow breathing.
Per the prescribing information, Vistaril can be used for multiple reasons, one being for itching due to allergic conditions. Unless experiencing other allergic symptoms or the Vistaril is ineffective, Claritin may be useful.
- Itching due to allergies
- Drowsiness and sedation may be increased with other CNS depressants, such as narcotics, barbiturates, non-narcotic analgesics, first-generation antihistamines, and alcohol
- Risk of prolonged QT interval in combination with other medications that can prolong QT interval (antiarrhythmics, ziprasidone, iloperidone, clozapine, quetiapine, chlorpromazine, citalopram, azithromycin, erythromycin, clarithromycin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, methadone, ondansetron)
- Risk of confusion and sedation in the elderly
- Early pregnancy
- Prolonged QT interval
- Hypersensitivity to the medication or cetirizine or levocetirizine
- Dry mouth
- QT prolongation
- Relief of allergic symptoms (sneezing, itching, runny nose)
- Not recommended in pregnancy or breastfeeding women
- Initial dose of 5 mg daily should be used in those with severe liver impairment
- Hypersensitivity to the medication
Side effects (typically mild)
- Dry mouth
I picked up a prescription for ten 72 hour transde...Mar 20, 2019
I am a kidney transplant patient with a fused back...Mar 17, 2019