Is The Androgel Pump The Same As The Packets?
In our latest question and answer, the pharmacist discusses how to compare the milligram testosterone content of the Androgel Pump and packets.
My prescription is for testosterone gel pump 1.62% (20.25 mg per pump activation). I am in Mexico where I can only get testosterone gel packets. Are the milligrams in the packets equivalent to the pump gel?
Yes, it is possible to get the same amount of testosterone in milligrams with both the Androgel pump and packets. It is important to remember that Androgel comes in multiple strengths, so be sure you are comparing the same product.
Additionally, with the Androgel pump product, the milligram dose of testosterone varies based on how many pumps you use.
Below, I provide a comparison of the Androgel pump and packets so you can easily figure out how to obtain the same dose of testosterone if going between products.
Androgel Pump - Packet Comparison
Androgel is available in two different strengths:
Each strength is available in two different dosage forms:
The next sections provide the details for each.
Androgel Pump 1.62%
One pump actuation of Androgel 1.62% contains 20.25 milligrams of testosterone.
Androgel Packet 1.62%
Androgel 1.62% packets are available in two different strengths:
- 1.25 g packet containing 20.25 mg testosterone
- 2.5 g packet containing 40.5 mg testosterone
Equating Pumps And Packets
- If you are using the 1.25 grams packets of Androgel 1.62%, one packet is equivalent to one pump (20.25 mg testosterone).
- If you are using the 2.5 grams packets of Androgel 1.62%, one packet is equivalent to two pumps (40.5 mg testosterone).
Androgel 1.62% Pump - Packet Conversion Tool
Type a value in any of the fields to convert Androgel 1.62% pumps to packets:
Androgel Pump 1%
One pump actuation of Androgel 1% contains 12.5 milligrams of testosterone.
*Note: Androgel 1% pump is discontinued as of 2016. Generic versions are available.
Androgel Packet 1%
Androgel 1% packets are available in two different strengths:
- 2.5 g packet containing 25 mg testosterone
- 5 g packet containing 50 mg testosterone
Equating Pumps And Packets
- If you are using the 2.5 gram packets of Androgel 1%, one packet is equivalent to two pumps (25 mg testosterone).
- If you are using the 5 gram packets of Androgel 1%, one packet is equivalent to four pumps (50 mg testosterone).
If for some reason you are switching between Androgel dosage forms (the pump and the gel packets), it is easy to get the same dose of testosterone. Since the gel packets come in two different sizes (e.g. 1.25 gram and 2.5 gram for the 1.62% products), just be sure you are looking at the appropriate product.
In your specific situation, using the 1.62% Androgel Pump, you can get the equivalent milligram dose (20.25 mg testosterone) with:
- One 1.25 gram packet of the Androgel 1.62% gel
- One-half 2.5-gram packet of the Androgel 1.62% gel
My child was prescribed Tamiflu but was not admini...Feb 23, 2019
Can I cut a 1000mg Ranexa in half to get a 500mg d...Feb 22, 2019