How Many Times A Day Can You Take Claritin (Loratadine)?
In our latest question and answer, the pharmacist discusses how many times per day you can safely take Claritin (loratadine).
How many times per day can you take Claritin (loratadine)? I feel that sometimes it doesn't last all day...
Claritin (loratadine) is a second-generation antihistamine and is most commonly dosed as 10 mg once daily (every 24 hours). However, it is also available in 5 mg dosage forms, which can be taken twice daily (every 12 hours).
So, overall, any Claritin product that is 10 mg should only be taken once a day. Any product that is 5 mg can be taken twice a day. The only exception to this is for adolescents between 2 and 6 years old. For this age group, 5 mg is the maximum daily dose and it should only be taken once daily (every 24 hours).
Claritin (Loratadine) Dosing Based On Age
- Ages 2 to 6: 5mg once every 24 hours.
- Ages 6 and over (including adults): 10mg once every 24 hours OR 5mg every 12 hours.
Below are the list of Claritin products and their indicated doses for ages 6 and older:
- Claritin 10mg tablets (One tablet every 24 hours)
- Claritin 5mg RediTabs (One tablet every 12 hours or 2 tablets every 24 hours)
- Claritin 10mg RediTabs (One tablet every 24 hours)
- Claritin-D 12 Hour (One tablet every 12 hours)
- Claritin-D 24 Hour (One tablet every 24 hours)
- Claritin Chewables 5mg (One tablet every 12 hours or two tablets every 24 hours)
- Claritin Syrup (Two teaspoons every 24 hours)
If you feel Claritin isn't working for a full 24 hours, it isn't recommended to increase the dose over 10 mg without first consulting with your doctor. There have been some studies that report doses over 10 mg are safe, but there isn't enough data to justify higher doses.
A better option would be to add a different class of medication on top of your daily Claritin for best allergy control. Options include:
- Nasal corticosteroids (e.g. Flonase, Nasacort)
- Mast cell stabilizer (e.g. Cromolyn nasal spray)
Both of the above options can help better control your allergy symptoms.
Does Shingrix contain any animal proteins or produ...Jul 12, 2019
I am currently taking gabapentin 3600mg/day. It h...Jun 28, 2019