Yes, the complete series of Shingrix is two shots. The second dose is given two to six months after the first dose. The second dose is required for the full effects of Shingrix. In addition, two doses of Shingrix are necessary regardless of your history history of shingles (herpes zoster) or chickenpox.
- If you forget to get the second dose of Shingrix within the 6 month time frame, it is recommended that the series not be restarted...simply get the second dose as soon as you remember according to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. However, this may put you at a greater risk of getting shingles at some point between your first and second doses.
- If the second dose of Shingrix is administered too soon (specified as less than 4 weeks after the first), the second dose should be repeated.
- Shingrix is a 2 shot vaccination series for the prevention of shingles.
- If you don't get the second dose within 6 months, get it as soon as possible.
- If the second dose is given too soon, it must be repeated.