Coffee With Yaz Interaction
The pharmacist discusses if it is safe to drink coffee with birth control like Yaz.
I took Yaz at my usual time at night. 1.5 hr later, I was having a coffee. Can this decrease the effectiveness of my birth control?
"THE RIGHT WAY TO TAKE THE PILL IS TO TAKE ONE PILL EVERY DAY AT THE SAME TIME. YAZ CAN BE TAKEN WITHOUT REGARD TO MEALS."
So, it is considered safe to drink coffee while taking YAZ (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone).
Patients should be aware of the potential interaction of YAZ (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone) with potassium supplements, potassium sparing drugs and certain disease states. Due to the progestin Drospirenone, which can increase potassium levels, patients with the following conditions or on the following drugs should NOT use YAZ (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone):
- Liver, kidney or adrenal disease
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as Ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil) or Naproxen (Aleve)
- Potassium sparing diuretics such as spironolactone
- Potassium supplements
- ACE inhibitors blood pressure medications (Ex: Accupril, Zestril or Vasotec)
- Angiotensin II receptor antagonists blood pressure medications (Ex: Cozaar or Avapro)
- Aldosterone antagonists
In conclusion, it is safe, and YAZ (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone) will still be effective, if taken with coffee. The most important point when taking any type of oral contraceptive is to take the pill at the same time each day. While there were no drug interactions in this case that could decrease the effectiveness of the pill, it is always a good idea to check with a pharmacist or your prescriber about potential drug interactions or any other questions you may have about your drug therapy.