Yes, Calcium Gluconate can be administered via a bolus (i.e. "push") dose or via continuous infusion:
Bolus intravenous administration
- In general, dilute the dose to a concentration of 10-50 mg/mL in 5% dextrose or normal saline prior to administration.
- Administer the dose slowly. The infusion rate should not exceed an 200 mg/minute in adults or 100 mg/minute in pediatric patients.
**For bolus administration** DO NOT exceed an infusion rate of:
- 200 mg/minute in adult patients
- 100 mg/minute in pediatric patients
Continuous intravenous infusion
- In general, Calcium Gluconate is diluted in 5% dextrose or normal saline to a concentration of 5.8-10 mg/mL.
- For continuous infusions, adjust rate as needed based on serum calcium levels .