Afrin With Robitussin DM
In our latest question and answer, the pharmacist discusses the use of Afrin nasal spray with Robitussin DM.
Can you take Afrin nasal spray and Robitussin DM cough syrup together?
Yes, it is safe to use Afrin nasal spray (oxymetazoline) and Robitussin DM (guaifenesin; dextromethorphan) cough syrup together. There is no known interaction between them.
Afrin And Drug Interactions?
It is important to point out that even though Afrin is used intranasally to relieve congestion and not intended for systemic absorption (like oral drugs are), some of the drug is absorbed into the circulatory system through the nose, with is highly vascularized and rich in blood flow.
- Increased blood pressure
- Decreased heart rate
- Increased heart rate
The risk of these side effects is thought to be minimal, but could certainly happen in susceptible individuals.
Additionally, it potentially could interact with other drugs that affect blood pressure so it is important to consider all the medication you are taking before using Afrin.
As mentioned earlier, however, Afrin is not known to have any interaction with Robitussin DM (which also should have no effect on blood pressure) so they should be safe together.
SummarySince Afrin (oxymetazoline) is absorbed, at least slightly, after nasal administration, it does have potential drug interactions. It is not known to interact with Robitussin DM (guaifenesin; dextromethorphan) however.
- ClinicalKey (Subscription Required) Elsevier ClinicalKey: Oxymetazoline Monograph.
- PubMed Systemic side effects of locally used oxymetazoline.
- PubMed Bradycardia, hypotension, and near-syncope associated with Afrin (oxymetazoline) nasal spray.
- PubMed Are nasal decongestants safer than rhinitis? A case of oxymetazoline-induced syncope.
- PubMed Non-prescription sympathomimetic agents and hypertension.
Is there a safe amount of grapefruit to consume if...Jun 17, 2019
Can I take clindamycin if I'm allergic to penicill...Jun 11, 2019